Get an Apple MDM push certificate
An Apple MDM Push certificate is required for Intune to manage iOS and macOS devices. After you add the certificate to Intune, your users can enroll their devices using:
- The Company Portal app.
- Apple’s bulk enrollment methods like the Device Enrollment Program, Apple School Manager, or Apple Configurator.
For more information about enrollment options, see Choose how to enroll iOS devices.
When a push certificate expires, you must renew it. When renewing, make sure to use the same Apple ID that you used when you first created the push certificate.
Steps to get your certificate
Sign in to the Microsoft Endpoint Manager Admin Center, choose Devices > Enroll devices > Apple enrollment > Apple MDM Push Certificate, and then follow these steps.
Step 1. Grant Microsoft permission to send user and device information to Apple
Select I agree. to give Microsoft permission to send data to Apple.
Step 2. Download the Intune certificate signing request required to create an Apple MDM push certificate
Select Download your CSR to download and save the request file locally. The file is used to request a trust relationship certificate from the Apple Push Certificates Portal.
Step 3. Create an Apple MDM push certificate
Select Create your MDM push Certificate to go to the Apple Push Certificates Portal. Sign in with your company Apple ID, and then click Create a Certificate. Select Choose File and browse to the certificate signing request file, and then choose Upload. On the Confirmation page, choose Download to the download the certificate (.pem) file, and save the file locally.
The certificate is associated with the Apple ID used to create it. As a best practice, use a company Apple ID for management tasks and make sure the mailbox is monitored by more than one person like a distribution list. Never use a personal Apple ID.
Step 4. Enter the Apple ID used to create your Apple MDM push certificate
Record this ID as a reminder for when you need to renew this certificate.
Step 5. Browse to your Apple MDM push certificate to upload
Go to the certificate (.pem) file, choose Open, and then choose Upload. With the push certificate, Intune can enroll and manage Apple devices.
Renew Apple MDM push certificate
The Apple MDM push certificate is valid for one year and must be renewed annually to maintain iOS and macOS device management. If your certificate expires, enrolled Apple devices cannot be contacted.
The certificate is associated with the Apple ID used to create it. Renew the MDM push certificate with the same Apple ID used to create it.
- Sign in to the Microsoft Endpoint Manager Admin Center, choose Devices > Enroll devices > Apple enrollment > Apple MDM Push Certificate.
- Choose Download your CSR to download and save the request file locally. The file is used to request a trust relationship certificate from the Apple Push Certificates Portal.
- Select Create your MDM push Certificate to go to the Apple Push Certificates Portal. Find the certificate you want to renew and select Renew.
- On the Renew Push Certificate screen, provide notes to help you identify the certificate in the future, select Choose File to browse to the new request file you downloaded, and choose Upload.
- On the Confirmation screen, select Download and save the .pem file locally.
- In Intune, select the Apple MDM push certificate browse icon, select the .pem file downloaded from Apple, and choose Upload.
Your Apple MDM push certificate appears Active and has 365 days until expiration.
Please prepare the Apple ID account for upload the CSR and download the pem for Azure Intune.